Moldova? Where is that? What is it like? Everyone who hears me mention it immediately has a bunch of questions. (Don’t worry, I didn’t know either. Thank goodness for Google!) So, to start off, here are some Fun Facts:
- Moldova has faster internet than the USA and 150 other countries.
- Peace Corps Volunteers in Moldova are more likely to have reliable internet than running water.
- About 4 Moldovas would fit in Alabama based on the number of square miles!
- Because of all the political changes in the 20th century, some Moldovans have lived in 3 different countries without ever moving!
- Money sent home from family members working outside the country accounts for about a quarter of Moldova’s GDP; one of the highest percentages in the world.
- Moldova is the least visited country in Europe.
- The national dish is mămăligă, a corn porridge which sounds a lot like grits!
- Moldova’s territory contains an almost-independent state: Transnistria. It has a president and a currency but is officially part of Moldova.
- Moldova as a country buys its electricity and natural gas from neighboring countries
And finally, here’s a video with scenes from the country and the national anthem: